ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING – Tuesday 15th December 2020 7.30pm Online by Zoom
- Welcome by Chair
- Apologies for Absence
- Minutes of AGM of 10th December 2019 and Matters Arising
- Report from Treasurer and approval of Accounts
- Reports from Chair, Secretary, Membership and Information Officers
- Publicity/Information Officer
- Membership Officer
8. Book Sales
9. Current Online meetings by Zoom, their degree of success and their future.
10. Meetings and Outings 2021
11. Any Other Business
After the Meeting, it is hoped that all members will be able to share a glass and perhaps a mince pie, to toast the future success of the Branch.
12 November 2020 Message from Chair , Peter Hounsell
Please note that outlines of the roles of Branch Committee members will be found at Branch Officer Roles
Dear Ealing branch members
I hope that you have enjoyed the three lectures we have held this autumn in Zoom and are looking forward to another before Christmas. It is a shame that we have again entered a period of lockdown and that it will be some time before we will be able to meet together and enjoy a talk in each other’s company.
As you know we always have our Annual General Meeting in December, and we are obliged by our constitution to have one. This year a full-length lecture was programmed to take place after the AGM – part of the catch up after the season was truncated in the spring – but the branch officers have decided that it would be better if we separated out the two and held the business meeting on a different day.
So on Tuesday 8 December we look forward to hearing Dr Sean Cunningham speak about the Field of the Cloth of Gold, and we shall hold the AGM the following Tuesday 15 December at 7.30pm. The AGM will be held as a Zoom meeting, not a webinar, so you will be seen and heard by your fellow branch members. I propose that after the formal business of the meeting we remain online, with a glass of wine and a mince pie and have a catch up with each other.
Please try and attend the AGM as it is important for you to be involved in the life of the branch, and to have a say in the direction of our activities. We will try and circulate the reports in plenty of time so that you can read them before the meeting, and come armed with your questions and comments
The AGM is also your chance to elect the officers who organise things on your behalf. We are happy to receive nominations for the main roles in running the branch, and offers from people to join the branch committee. This is particularly important this year. Pierre Thomas, who has served the branch very well as secretary for several years, and put together excellent lecture programmes, is standing down. We are looking, therefore, for a branch member to step into this role from December to ensure the branch continues to flourish. To that end, please see the job description below to understand what the job entails:
- Organises Programme of Talks for the season, in conjunction with other committee
members. (starts in New Year) Involves invitations, requests for promotional details of talks,
confirmation of details shortly before meetings
- convenes AGM, distributing agenda and officers’ reports.
- Provides completed Programme of talks to Publicity Officer, Historical Association and to
- Organises room bookings with church and Twyford School (October session).
- Opens and sets up room on night of talks, maintains book listing attendees, arranges with
those organising refreshments. Closes up building afterwards
- Writes reports on activities as required annually by the HA, and provides report for AGM
- Convenes committee meetings at agreed times with agenda in advance and minutes after
- Organises September Brentford Festival booking, rota and tables.
- Organises Christmas social
I should say that this is what Pierre has been doing. Some of this, particularly item 4, was made easier because he lived close to the venue, and if there is anyone, who would not wish to take on the secretary’s role, but who would undertake to open up the building and set up the room for the talks, please let me know. If you think that you would be able to serve as secretary, please get in touch with me to discuss it further.
We do need new people to join the committee and start taking on the officer roles. So please think about how you can help the branch to continue in the years ahead.
Peter Hounsell firstname.lastname@example.org